Why choose a Tendon?
All ropes are not created equal. While all ropes used for climbing are CE and UIAA certified, there can be significant differences in longevity and handling. Increased durability and smooth feel are the result of careful engineering and production. Tendon ropes are designed to meet the applications of a wide variety of conditions found in mountain environments and by necessity must run smoothly through climbing gear, across abrasive edges and withstand changing weather conditions to provide a safe tether for the climbing party. The handling of the fibers, water repellency treatments and weave all play an important part in achieving the highest results for the given weight and application.
Tendon pays very close attention to processing and weaving of the rope fibers. A key element in improving durability is the application of water repellency treatment. Tendon is the only rope manufacturer in the world who is licensed to use TEFLON®EVO for rope protection helping to eliminate strength robbing water penetration and protect the fibers from dirt particles which cause abrasion and fiber break down. There are three level of coating for any Tendon rope.
- A “Standard” rope does not have a treatment applied after or during the weaving process. These ropes are a lower cost and intended for lower use levels found in weekend cragging, indoor applications and outside climbing walls.
- Protect Shield is a Teflon® coating applied to the sheath after it is woven. The rope is run through a solution of coating material using Nanotechnology to transfer tiny particles of Teflon on to the surface. Once the material is applied, the Teflon is heat set to assure complete application and protection
- Complete Shield is the complete application of Teflon to the core and sheath of the rope. Before weaving/ spinning the core, Teflon is applied to the fibers using Nanotechnologie and heat set. The fibers are then woven together to create the core. The sheath is then woven around the outside of the core. Teflon is applied to the sheath and heat set to provide superior protection and resistance to the weakening effects of water intrusion into the fibers. Complete Shield extends the general life span of Tendon ropes significantly.
There are several important benefits:
- Water penetration is minimized which maintains the designed strength of the rope. All ropes used in the alpine environment or where the possibility of getting wet exists should be purchased with a protective coating.
- Teflon acts like a lubricant on the fibers allowing the rope to run easier over gear and obstructions. This reduces the abrasion of the rope – improves its longevity in the climbing environment.
- The coating prevents dirt and grime from attacking the fibers of the rope reducing “gack”. You can wash your Tendon rope without significantly reducing the water repellency.
- Since the fibers are heat set, the weave of the rope can be softer providing a better handling rope for belaying and knot tying.
The way the sheath is woven also has an effect on the durability of the rope. The standard sheath is woven using two paired strands, increasing the fiber contact with the surface that the rope is running against. This is a common sheath configuration that is very strong and most of the Tendon rope sheaths are woven using this pattern. The Tendon Master 9.4, Master 9.7 and Ambition 10.0 feature a sheath that has an abrasion reducing weave incorporating a single braided strand pattern, reducing overall friction and abrasion. The fibers on SBS sheaths are more resistant to breaking, run smoother through gear and give the rope excellent handling properties.